Client: The Office of Civil Contingencies, Gibraltar
How multi-agency teams can work together to stage safe and successful large-scale events
The EPC delivered a crowd safety management programme to resilience practitioners in May 2019 as preparation for the Island Games in July 2019.
The Office of Civil Contingencies (OCC) coordinates the multi-agency training for Gibraltar’s Emergency Services and other first responding organisations. The course was developed and contextualised for Gibraltar and based on a distillation of the following EPC prospectus courses:
- Introduction to Crowd Safety Management
- Safety at Sporting Venues
- Security Risk Management for Crowded Places
The course was targeted at members of the:
- Gibraltar Island Games Organising Committee
- Gibraltar Sports & Leisure Authority
- Ministry of Culture
- Royal Gibraltar Police
- Gibraltar Fire & Rescue Service
- Gibraltar Ambulance Service
- Office of Civil Contingencies
OCC wished to do this through a range of delivery techniques:
- Bespoke targeted and focused training
- An embedded element in order to guarantee absorption of expertise and overall capability ownership
- Delivered to middle-senior level personnel
- A course was contextualized for Gibraltar and the appropriate organisations and was not ‘off the shelf’
The training course and the table-top exercises were invariably well received resulting in improved capability and a demand for further developmental activities.
The training course also provided the attendees with the necessary understanding to develop and formalise the activities of Safety Advisory Groups. In addition to the Gibraltar 2019 NatWest International Island Games XVIII, Gibraltar will very shortly be the host of other high-profile events such as Gibraltar Calling, Andrea Bocelli concert and National Day.
This was an excellent course which was well-structured and expertly delivered. The skills and knowledge gained in this course will prove to be invaluable for all those involved in the planning of high profile events where crowd safety is of paramount importance.