Santika Nightclub Fire
Santika Night Club went up in flames after a fire started for an unconfirmed reasons, possibly an electrical fault or fireworks from the new year celebrations. Due to poor building regulations, parts of the building was made out of flammable material, further aiding the fire. Of the 1,000 people in th club, 66 were killed and 222 were injured. Deaths occurred from smoke inhalation and crow crush when a stampede occurred for the one main exit. There were two other exits but one was locked and another was only for staff use. The club had never had a firest safety inspection.
A fire grew out of control at the Mesa Redonda shopping centre (Lima, Peru) where many firework vendors were selling their go...
The first wife of a groom committed arson at the grooms second wedding. As an act of revenge she poured petrol onto the weddi...
Your contribution counts
We would love to increase learning from past disasters by adding more examples into our Disaster Database. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any suggestions for the disaster database. Thank you.